Can chronic coughing cause vaginal bleeding?
Thoughts on this
Hello Ms. XXXXXXX
It's possible that the pressure generated from coughing caused a tear along the scar from the past surgery, if it is definitely coming from the vagina and not the bladder.
The tear may be small. There may be small blood vessels at the scar site that are weaker and more prone to bleeding if they are stressed.
I recommend that you go in to have a pelvic exam - both a speculum exam to see where the bleeding is coming from, and a bimanual exam to try to find the location of the pressure feeling and check if there are any abnormalities on palpation.
Depending on how strong your symptoms are, you can wait to see your doctor, if he or she is in tomorrow. Or you can go in to an urgent care clinic today. If you have any further signs of bleeding, I recommend the urgent care.
If you do go in to the urgent care, I have 2 pieces of advice:
1. Request specifically to see a doctor. Many places now save money by staffing mostly with PA and NPs. They do not have the depth of knowledge or training a doctor does.
2. Don't touch your eyes, nose, or mouth until you have come home and thoroughly washed your hands and alcohol wiped your phone and any thing else you may have handled while there. There are a lot of germs at an urgent care, including flu right now.
One way to differentiate: you can ask the clinic to do a urinalysis, and put in a tampon so that bleeding from the vagina does not entire the urine specimen. If you don't have tampons anymore, most clinics can provide one.
Also, if there is bleeding from the vagina, they will most likely be able to see that during speculum exam.
For figuring it out on your own, it can be harder. Usually pink trace bleeding from the vagina has a bit of mucus in it where blood from the bladder does not, but that is not always reliable.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Can excessive coughing cause vaginal bleeding
- Vaginal bleeding cornice cough
- Coughing and vaginal bleeding
- Vaginal bleeding and constant cough
- Hard cough can it cause vaginal bleeding
- Cough resulting in vaginal bleeding
- Vaginal bleeding related to coughing
- Vaginal bleeding after coughing
- Can severe coughing cause vaginal bleeding
- Can coughing cause vaginal bleeding
- Suggest treatment for chronic hip/pelvic pain
- What causes coughing, sneezing, headaches and watery eyes?
- Suggest treatment for post nasal drainage and runny nose
- What causes foul body odor and overactive bladder while taking Trospium?
- What causes pain near the navel area?
- What causes joints pain with welts and teeth problems?
- Suggest remedy for drainage at back of throat and vomiting sensation
- Suggest treatment for pain under the clavicle
- Suggest medication for ADHD
- Suggest medication for bloating in a person with history of colitis