Can chronic alcohol consumption cause elevated AST and ALT levels?

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: my AST level is 64 and my ALT is 62.
How concern should I be?
Would drinking affect these levels?

Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry, however routine and timely follow-up to continue..

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX Welcome to HCM,

I've gone through your query and understand your concern,

First of all you should note that AST of 64 and ALT of 62 is not significant enough to intervene(though you must have seen it's marked as elevated as per the lab investigation reports range).. they should be at least 3 fold risen (~90-100 at least) to be considered elevated clinically..

Secondly, it would be really helpful for me to guide you in a more detailed way if you please share your complete liver function test reports as well as any other investigations which have been done along with (because our body works as a unit and every organ function is some what dependent on each others in this regard)..

As for the other query of yours, the answer is yes, drinking(alcohol) has direct impact on the liver function and enzymes, and over a period of time it increases them periodically, however let me also assure you that most of the time it's totally reversible, so in case of abstinence, they simply get normalized after a period of time (please note that duration varies from individual to individual, body metabolism, associated ailments, period of chronicity and several other factors)..

But please don't worry as I've already mentioned that your AST/ALT level is not at all in that concerned level (so if your actually concerned about the drinking, just cut down the level for the time being and occasional social range will be just fine).

I hope this'll clarify your concern, please let me know if there's any further queries, I'll be glad to assist..

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee