• question-icon

Can chicken pox reoccur?

Posted on Mon, 14 Apr 2014 in Infections
Question: My friend has the shingles, I had chicken pox when I was 9 or 10 years old. I had the shingles in my 39's. I am 54 years old. I put medicene on my friend and touched his soars n put calamine lotion on him. He still has it, I am now feeling ill. I am nauciated, itching all over sometimes, and achee like the flu! Am I getting the pox on shingles?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Chances are less Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Usually one who gets infected with chicken pox gets immunized for life. Only in rare cases he /she may get reinfected. Need not worry, even if you are exposed it may take a minimum of 4 to 5 days for the symptoms to appear in you, they may not show in less than that. Please do ask if any doubts. regards,
Follow up: Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later
I am achee, stomach hurts, nauciated and feeling bad! I was told due to my age n had pox yrs ago the immune system lessons and becapuse i touched his open soars i can get shingles again, n being how i feel right now i am scared n waiting for then to appear, is this true?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: No, Detailed Answer: Hi, Usually immunity due to chicken is for life. Your symptoms could either be psychological or due to another cause. Do get examined by your treating doctor for your confirmation. Regards,
Dr. Raju A.T