question-icon

Can chest x-ray detect Influenza infection?

Posted on Sat, 30 May 2015
Question: can a chest x-ray by its self identify influenza, what about in conjunction with a CT
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah (27 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
A chest Xray or CT cannot identify influenza!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

A chest X-ray or any other imaging test cannot detect influenza. Influenza is a virus and cannot be seen with any imaging test. The best test to identify influenza is a culture to grow the virus and isolate for identification. This is rarely done.

Xray and CT scans are only used when there is a complication like pneumonia, bronchitis, etc. This would tell us there is such an infection cannot specifically say this is caused by influenza.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thanks for using our services and feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah (7 minutes later)
infemzema,
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Are you asking about emphyaema?

Detailed Answer:

Please, check if you are talking about emphysema which is abnormal dilatation of the lungs. If this is the correct term, yes an Xray and CT scan can see it. If that is not exactly what you are asking for, try rephrasing the question again.

I wish you well and let me hear from you.
Dr. Chobufo Ditah