Can chemo cause white stools and painful urinations?

Dr. Matija Romic

Posted on Fri, 27 Jun 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Can chemo cause white stools? 83 year old woman had mastectomy. She is also having painful urinations. these are a fairly recent events. she just had her last chemo treatment 3 weeks ago.
Her temperature is normal and her appetite is good.
Answered by Dr. Matija Romic 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Side effects of chemotherapy

Detailed Answer:
hello and thank you for asking HCM,

I understand your concern. White stools are in this case caused because of candida overgrowth of her intestine because chemotherapy caused immunodefficiency. Some chemotherapy drugs can irritate the bladder or cause damage to the kidneys. In very rare cases, this damage can be permanent. If kidney or bladder problems do develop, they will usually happen a few days or more after chemotherapy treatment.
If her symptoms progress, for example the number and quantity of her stools or you manage blood in her urine than call a doctor as soon as possible to stop potential dehydration.

After some time these symptoms should lower and get better.

I hope this answer was helpful to you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T