Can chemical stress tests prevent heart rate from increasing?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 26 Apr 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: When I have a stress test done they administer a chemical test rather that a treadmill test.I have joined a gym that has a program that registers your target heart rate by use of a monitor.During my first workout I was unable to reach my target rate.Could the reasons behind the chemical test have anything to me being unable to get my heart rate up?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I understand your concern and would explain that the reason that you were not able to reach your target rate, could be your current therapy.

Many drugs, like beta-blockers, calcium channel blockers, can lead to such clinical scenario.

For this reason, I would like to know your actual therapy in order give a more professional opinion on your situation.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri