Can catheter insertion negatively affect the prostate and urinary tract?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Wed, 12 Sep 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Was sent to hospital for urinary retention. Two nurses inserted a catheter through penis to drain urine. However, when examined by a urologist several hours later, it was found they had not inserted the catheter far enough but only into the prostate, where they had opened the balloon right there (much pain). Insertion procedure had to be repeated, but I am now hearing from the urologist "how easy self-catheriztion is nowadays," etc. He seems to feel that the acute urinary retention may have over-stretched the bladder but I am wondering it the incorrect insertion of the catheter is not also an issue. I would greatly appreciate your objective opinion as to what effects on my prostate and uninary system may have resulted from the catheter insertion into the prostrate.and what if anything medically I should do or look for.

Forgot to indicate, cause of urinary retention was BPH, very enlarged prostrate. Urlologist left catheter in, scheduled to visit his office Wednesday, at which time he will remove it early in morning and see if I can urinate that day, if not wants to re-insert catheter and schedule surgery to enlarge prostrate opening. My feeling though is that I should give the drugs, eg, finasteride, longer to work. All this is very difficult to sort out, knowing almost nothing about urology myself. Thank you for any assistance. Joseph XXXXXXX YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 5 hours later
Brief Answer:

Retention of urine is warning signal & needs surgery for better resolution.

Detailed Answer:

Based on the facts that you have posted you seem to had retention of urine due to the enlarged prostate for which catheterization was done which tucked up in prostatic part of urethra and had to be reinserted again.

Incorrect insertion of the catheter will not have any long-term side effect on the prostate.

Developing retention of urine is considered to be a warning signal and suggest blocking of urethral passage to near total.

You have been advised to wait for few days and your Urologist wants to give a trial of voiding after a week and to follow the medical line of treatment in future With this you may be able to pass urine.

However, with my experience of 42 years, I would personally advise you to go ahead and get the surgery done rather than taking medications.

It will not benefit in terms of quality of life symptoms and there is always a risk of developing retention of urine at any time.

Results of endoscopic surgery (TURP)are rewarding and will give relief from symptoms and improve quality of life for rest of your life .

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 16 hours later
Thank you, but do you not think that opening the balloon on a foley catheter in my arethra, within in the prostate - a so-called traumatic or misplaced insertion -- will result in permanent constriction of the arethra? I was then admitted to the hospital and put in a room without a urologist looking at me for nine hours, and in so much pain I had to be given morphine. It seems to me that I am headed toward self-catheterization, which means either self-insertion 8 times a day rest of my life or else a permanent catheter placed in abdomen. However my question to you is, can the arethra be repaired? if so what would be involved? I believe this really is an extremely bad situation and would appreciate your XXXXXXX assessment. PS - also as I wait for my urology appointment on Wednesday I am having slow blood leakage along the tip of the catheter, not sure what to do. Incidentally, please do not minimize this situation-- no offense -- it is quite bad and life-changing. Very upset. What should I do?? get a second opinion?

please excuse misspelling of urethra!
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 14 hours later
Brief Answer:

Do not worry Issue will get resolved after TURP

Detailed Answer:

I can understand your concerns and agony that you have gone thrash but this has to be considered as an accident.

Normally when an elderly patient who comes with acute retention of urine it is due to Enlarged Prostate and catheter usually gets placed in a Prostatic part of the urethra which is soft and there no risk of stricture formation.

A stricture is usually formed when the catheter gets placed in a Bulbar part of urethra and there is always a torrential bleeding from penis immediate after putting catheter.

Do not worry. Your Urologist will investigate you and I can assure you that all these issues will get resolved after doing TURP and you will not need to put catheter for rest of your life as feared by you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 3 days later
Hello, one last message. Visited urologist yesterday who removed catheter and I did a voiding test for five hours. Completely unable to urinate. He replaced the catheter and looks like I will be catheterized rest of my life, as bladder seems to have lost elasticity. I blame the medical mistake of inserting catheter into my prostrate rather than bladder and opening the balloon there for this condition. Also admitting me to the hospital then disregarding me for the next nine hours as I suffered in the hospital room. So as you see, these situations don't always result in good outcomes, but thanks for your counsel and advice. Emergency rooms save lives but they are also dangerous places.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 23 hours later
Brief Answer:

Get the tests done suggested in my reply earlier.

Detailed Answer:

I have already explained to you all the possible outcome and solutions for your problem.

Get the tests done and follow the guidelines of your Urologist.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr P. T. Patil, Urologist