Can bronchitis cause enlargement in the heart?

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 1 Jul 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi I went to an urgent care facility today due to excessive coughing. (I am on vacation right now). I have been on amoxicillin for about a week now and I felt I wasn't getting any better. He took chest X-Rays and said I had fluid that he felt was Bronchitis bordering on Pneumonia. He said I needed stronger meds. He gave me a shot of what he said was double the dose of 2 Zpacs and prednisone by mouth and also the same antibiotic 1 500 mg for 5 days. He asked if I had ever had asthma and I said yes in my teens. I am 49 now. I have had MVP for 33 years. I had it checked with an echo two years ago and my doctor said I had trace regugitation but everything looked good. This doctor then proceeded to ask me if I knew my heart was enlarged 10-20 percent. I freaked! I have NEVER had high blood pressure or any problems. I have palpitations due to MVP sometimes but that is normal for me. I also have high anxiety. I texted my PA that I see sometimes and she said she knew I had the enlargement but they watch my blood work and feel everything is fine. Can you give me some insight? Can the bad case of bronchitis be a factor in this? Thanks so much!
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following advice

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

Based on the data you provided I would like to say that you have an enlarged heart which may be related to asthma and pulmonary problems.

It's a well known fact that asthma and other pulmonary disease contribute to the progression of heart enlargement over a long period.

The actual bronchitis and pneumonia per se doesn't cause the enlargement but it help to unmask it.

If you were my patient I would recommend to do the following examinations:
- Blood work including pro BNP levels (it help us to exclude heart failure)
- Cardiac echo
- Pulmonary function test

This will help to definitely find out the exact cause of heart enlargement.

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu
p.s: If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to ask me again.