Can bronchitis cause GERD?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 24 Aug 2016 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Related to previous question.
Ever since I recovered from my bronchitis, my GERD has become worse. Almost constant coughing is relieved by taking an anti-acid. The instructions on the anti-acid container says to take no more than four a day. I find that everything I eat gives me a reaction...I can actually FEEL the reaction radiating from my throat. Will this subside with time or should I visit my Gastroenterologist. I have been taking Prevacid 30 mg for approx. ten years now. I was diagnosed with GERD because of my coughing. I never actually felt acid like I do now. I was surprised when taking the initial test when the screen showed the almost immediate regurgitation of the liquid I swallowed.
Could my bronchitis have contributed to this? In May I had an MRI with sedation and they placed a tube into my throat for something during the MRI. Could this have contributed towards my discomfort? I go to bed coughing and wake up coughing ... elevating my head while sleeping seems to help but has not solved the problem.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As discussed in details below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query and an elucidate history.
Read the history you have posted today and the previous too and understood your concerns.
I would like to answer your queries with explanations wherever required.
Bronchitis contributed to the GERD indirectly as coughing increases the intra-abdominal pressure so much so that the stomach contents can easily come up into the esophagus and throat.
Putting tube into throat during MRI may cause the problems, but that persists hardly for a day or two. Hence it would have contributed for that day or two but not later.
Certainly yes, visiting the Gastroenterologist can help the maximum by having clinical evaluation, examination and relevant investigations to give you the proper dosages. Please discuss about prokinetic like Domperidone as it may help you further.

I hope these answers your all queries, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.