Can brain fluid leak into the ear?

Dr. Deepashree

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: can the brain lik fluid in to the ear ?
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
CSF otorhoea.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for your query.
Yes brain fluid called cerebro spinal fluid(CSF) can leak into the middle ear.
This happens in cases of ear infection, head injury where the roof of the middle ear is traumatised,post operatively due to surgical trauma and rarely congenital leak because of the dehiscene of the roof of ear.
Investigation would be gadolinium enhanced MR I scan with contrast.
Treatment option is surgical repair.
Hope my answers have helped you. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Deepashree 12 hours later
would a hearing test be required to determine this ?
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, tympanometry test.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for your follow up query.
Hearing test called impedance audiometry can be done to detect fluid in the middle ear. If it is present the tympanometry shows flat curve.
But the fluid in middle ear is csf only, that cannot be ruled out.
For this MR I with contrast will help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj