Can botulism be transmitted to a newborn from contact with unwashed hands?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
I have a 5 week old baby. I ate honey bunches of oats granola and did not wash my hands after eating the granola. Is there a risk for botulism if I touched my babies hand and he is to put his hands in his mouth. I know honey is very dangerous for babies under 12 months old so I am concerned and unsure if it can be transmitted this way.
Thu, 26 Apr 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on honey and Infant botulism

Detailed Answer:
Hi.... please do not be worried about what has happened. I know you are frightened by the fact that honey can cause botulism. But this is not a hundred percent cause and effect relationship. It is only a possibility. Moreover it can occur only when you feed the baby honey directly spoon by spoon. So do not worry about this. But here after I suggest you be careful about what goes into the baby's mouth, not only honey, but anything else also.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth