Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

134 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Can blood transfusion cause Waldenstroms cancer?

Answered by
Dr. Monish De


Practicing since :2004

Answered : 1645 Questions

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Blood Disorders
Question: yes, is it possible to get Waldenstroms cancer from a blood transfusion?
Answered by Dr. Monish De 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hereditary condition

Detailed Answer:
It is not possible for Waldenström’s cancer to get from blood transfusion.
The disease causes cancer cells make large amounts of an abnormal protein called a macroglobulin.
The condition is more common in families. This suggests that Waldenström’s cancer may be hereditary.
Treatment of this condition includes plasmapheresis which is a procedure in which excess proteins (IgM immunoglobulins) in the plasma are removed from the blood, and the remaining plasma is returned to the body.
It can also be treated by chemotherapy where a medicine that destroys fast growing cells in the body is provided through the veins intravenously or as a pill. The drugs designed to attack the abnormal cells producing the excess IgM.
Chemotherapy is also often given in combination with a targeted therapy called rituximab
There is no holistic approach for the disease.
Hope i have answered your query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Monish De 10 minutes later
what would happen to her if she decides not to take the meds?
Answered by Dr. Monish De 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Disease progression

Detailed Answer:

If she decides not to take the medicines then the disease will progress.

In some patients the disease will progress more slowly. These patients will have a longer survival time compared with those whose disease progresses more quickly. The average survival time for patients with this disorder is 6.5 years. Some patients will live more than 10 years following their diagnosis.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Medical Procedures ,  
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Macroglobulin

doctor1 MD

I have an elevated ggt of 257 Ld of 224 ast of 45 and alt of 53, Yes I have Hep C geno 1a, and have been through interferon and ribraviron treatment once ( for three months non-responding) and then interferon, ribraviron and brocepravir treatment...

doctor1 MD

what are the end stage conditions of waldenstrom's? Is there an expected longivity number?