Can blood transfusion cause Waldenstroms cancer?

Dr. Monish De

Oncologist

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Blood Disorders
Question: yes, is it possible to get Waldenstroms cancer from a blood transfusion?
Answered by Dr. Monish De 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hereditary condition

Detailed Answer:
Hi
It is not possible for Waldenström’s cancer to get from blood transfusion.
The disease causes cancer cells make large amounts of an abnormal protein called a macroglobulin.
The condition is more common in families. This suggests that Waldenström’s cancer may be hereditary.
Treatment of this condition includes plasmapheresis which is a procedure in which excess proteins (IgM immunoglobulins) in the plasma are removed from the blood, and the remaining plasma is returned to the body.
It can also be treated by chemotherapy where a medicine that destroys fast growing cells in the body is provided through the veins intravenously or as a pill. The drugs designed to attack the abnormal cells producing the excess IgM.
Chemotherapy is also often given in combination with a targeted therapy called rituximab
There is no holistic approach for the disease.
Hope i have answered your query.
DR De

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Monish De 10 minutes later
what would happen to her if she decides not to take the meds?
Answered by Dr. Monish De 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Disease progression

Detailed Answer:
Hi

If she decides not to take the medicines then the disease will progress.

In some patients the disease will progress more slowly. These patients will have a longer survival time compared with those whose disease progresses more quickly. The average survival time for patients with this disorder is 6.5 years. Some patients will live more than 10 years following their diagnosis.

DR De

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad