Can blood thinning medication cause easy bruises?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2017
Mar 2017

Cardiologist
Question
On Afib can Eloquis be enough. I was proscribed another pill to be taken with it. I am bruising easily and am taking a statin. Is there a point when blood can be thinned too much?

The other pill is metropolol.
Fri, 20 Apr 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir

After going through the medical details provided by you I understand your concern for your health and I would like to tell you that Eliquis is a blood thinner given in atrial fibrillation for the prevention of any clot formation thereby preventing the chances of occurance of Stroke.

Metoprolol is a beta blocker used to slow down the heart rate during afib so as to improve the cardiac output.

Both of these can be taken together. But in your case the problem is that you are having easy bruises which mean the dose of blood thinning medicine needs adjustment.

Easy bruising is a sign of too much blood thinning.

Kindly consult your treating cardiologist personally for dose adjustment of Eliquis.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap