Can blood pressure be higher at the ankles?
Thanks for the query,
In a normal subject the pressure at the ankle will be slightly higher than at the elbow.The ABPI(Ankle brachial pressure index) is the ratio of the highest ankle to brachial artery pressure and an ABPI of greater than 0.9 is considered normal .
However, a lower blood pressure suggests calcification of the walls of the arteries and incompressible vessels, reflecting severe peripheral vascular disease.
Arteries that deliver blood to parts of the body below the heart don’t get nearly as much attention as the coronary arteries that supply the heart or the carotid arteries that supply the brain.These so-called peripheral arteries are central to good health for the kidneys, intestines, and legs. They are also prone to the same damaging processes that stiffen and clog coronary arteries.
Since you are a diabetic blood circulation is indeed important.
Poor blood circulation, otherwise known as peripheral vascular disease, is a very common complication of diabetes . Poor circulation leads to serious heart complications, including heart attack and stroke. It can also lead to problems with the legs, arms, and feet, such as numbness, tingling, and slow healing of wounds.
There are certain lifestyle factors that also lead to poor circulation, including:
a lack of physical activity which you should avoid,
3.poorly controlled blood glucose levels,
4.untreated high blood pressure,
5.untreated high cholesterol.
Hope my answer is adequate.I am available for follow up should you have anymore queries.
Thanks for your time ane effort - it's been very educational for me!
Thanks for the query,
If the BP of 128/82 is present in either arm you can expect a BP of 130/90 to be normal.But 172/100 is absolutely not normal.
If it is at that range the patient might be suffering from typically peripheral vascular disease or pump mechanism of heart is problem. To confirm you need to first undergo a complete physical examination by a general physician and undergo some tests like, ECG, ECHO, Doppler ultrasound of the peripheral limb (blood flow detector), Lipid profile.
If it is due to cardiovascular disease you will have to change your lifestyle and food habits.Like taking a low fat diet,regular exercises,meditation.
Hope my answer is adequate.I am available for follow up should have any more concern.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Ankle blood pressure monitor
- Blood pressure and ankle swelling
- Ankle blood pressure accuracy
- Is 12469 blood pressure higher
- High ankle blood pressure
- Normal ankle blood pressure
- Ankle blood pressure test
- Swollen ankles and blood pressure
- Is blood pressure higher when hungry
- Can blood pressure be higher at the ankles
- Multiple uterine fibroids. Can I abort?
- Fibromyalgia,mild stroke,bladder cyst,involuntary urinaton
- Itching penis, white spots, swelling, painful. Suggest.
- Severe headache,nausea,dizziness,vomiting,pain in hips and tailbone
- Should I worry if I have bladder polyps?
- Cough,fever,lethargy,bad breath,wheezing
- What is the problem if I have severe headache and dizziness?
- Can blood pressure be higher at the ankles?
- Sub clinical hypothyroidism, fatty liver, liver protection products
- Red patches, yellow crust. Ringworm?