• question-icon

Can blood clots in veins be resolved with medication?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Valvular Heart Disease
Question: my father had heart attack 3 days back and was given velix injection and then moved to other hospital.They have angiogram yesterday and was told that 2 veins were blocked in left side and advised for 2 stents.Can I know when should we go for stents and can't the clots be resolved with medicines instead of stent.
Answered by Dr. Priyank Mody 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Stent or bypass would be superior to medicine alone for critical blockages

Detailed Answer:
Hello , Welcome back to HCM,

As I had mentioned the need for stent or bypass depends on how critical the blockages are .
On a general note if they are more than 70 % blocked , it's better to do a bypass or stenting as medicines alone would not be a superior choice.

Now another way to determine this is a stress test ( preferably a stress thallium) , however considering that your father had a recent attack I would not suggest the same .

Lastly of the two arteries you mentioned one must have been the cause of heart attack . So if residual stenosis still remains after thrombolysis with velix , it would be better to treat it .

If the patients is hemodynamically stable and is not having any symptoms you may wait and continue medical management till than , however earlier the better to salvage the heart muscle.

Again more information and reports like ECG at present , angiography report will help me to guide you better .

Also do update the medication he is on so I can even review the same .
Hoping I could help to resolve your doubts. .

Dr Priyank Mody
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Priyank Mody

Cardiologist