question-icon

Can Bladder Stones Prevent Urination And Cause Bleeding?

Posted on Fri, 13 Oct 2017
Question: I passed a pea size stone at about 10 pm last night and have not been able to urinate since then only the urge its as if something is blocking I am only getting a small amount of blood and no urine as if there is a blockage with more stones maybe
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant (14 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Another stone or edema

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
Noted the history and understood your concerns.
Yes, the most probable reason may be another stone that is larger and impacted due to the size or due to the edema in the urethra caused by passage of the stone, cutting through and causing a valve like mechanism wherein straining increases the obstruction.
This can be easily diagnosed by the following:
Palpation of the base of urethra from outside or by per-rectal examination.
Ultrasonography.
Since you are taking lots of liquids it is possible that there may be enlarging urinary bladder that also needs to be taken care of by catheterization or so.
I would advise you to go to ER asap and get a proper diagnosis to get a proper management.

I hope this answer helps you.
Please feel free to give a feedback and ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon