Can bilateral polycystic ovaries cause difficulty in conception?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 18 Jul 2018 in Women's Health
Question: Hi,

We have done abdominal ultrasound scanning for my wife. And found the impression is "Bilateral Polycystic Ovaries". Can we know what exactly it lead is this problem for getting pregnancy?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can cause difficulty in conception.

Detailed Answer:
PCOD is a condition where in numerous small fluid filled cysts will be located along the edge of each ovary, which affects release of Egg (Ovulation) causing difficulty in getting Pregnant.
Treatment includes lifestyle modification in which weight reduction and diet plays an important role.
Metformin drug is widely used for the treatment of PCOD but should not be taken without doctor's guidance.
Low dose oral contarceptives and progesterone are also given for menstrual irregularities.
ovulation induction drugs are given for infertility.
Some doctor's prefer laparoscopic ovarian drilling but chances of adhesions are there.
For hirsuitism laser , waxing or chemical depilation can be done.
To conclude , PCOD is a very common metabolic disorder these days and is due to western life style and inactivity , can be controlled with proper food , exercise , medical and surgical treatment under doctor's guidance.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 23 minutes later
Is this Bilateral Polycystic Ovaries is a PCOD? Scanning Radiologist told that both are different.. please confirm
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 39 hours later
Brief Answer:
welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The pt having polycystic ovaries can have normal cycle and pregnancy but when polycystic ovary effects cycle and pregnancy than it is called PCOD.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana