question-icon

Can being unable to move, lift and bend the right foot require medical attention?

Posted on Tue, 3 Nov 2020
Question: I fell down my steps yesterday and landed with my right leg under me...I felt/heard sort of a grinding pop when I fell. It hurt, but I got up and was fine for about an hour, able to walk etc....after I sat down for a few minutes it now hurts, I cannot put weight on it, cannot bend it backwards or lift my foot off the ground without pain. I am not sure if I just pulled something and need to give it time or if I should go to the doctor and have it checked. The pain is about a 3 when resting, it goes up to a 8 or 9 if I move it wrong or try to lift or bend it back. The pain is from the right of my knee down to just above my ankle, travels along my shin to the right.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal (54 minutes later)
Brief Answer:

Can be internal knee injury.

Detailed Answer:

You must have hurt your internal structures in knee, which are anterior/posterior cruciate ligament, medial/lateral collateral ligament, medial and lateral menisci, joint capsule, synovium, crossing muscles, bone cartilage and bone itself.

It needs proper clinical examination and relevant investigations to diagnose which among these is hurt.

These are best visualized on MRI (Magnetic Resonant Imaging). A pair of knee supports can add to stability. But that again depends on your exact condition. If you don't get relief, proceed with MRI.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Praveen Tayal, Orthopaedic Surgeon
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon