Can being pushed back severely cause bulging disc?

Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Back Pain
Question: Hi can being pushed in the back quite severely cause a bulging disc? When I pushed the front of me went into the cubboard n my neck went back wards instantly I felt pain n lastbyer I had my c6/7 disc removed.
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Being pushed back is unlikely to cause disc bulge. Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX This is just to inform you that simply being pushed back is very unlikely to result in a disc bulge but it may cause a worsening of a already protruded disc. Propably, you could have suffered a cervical strain by being pushed back resulting in sudden severe pain. The general treatment guidelines for cervical strain are as follows - - Take Rest and do not do any activities that cause pain till the acute pain subsides - Apply ice or a cold pack to the painful area for 15 to 20 minutes, 4 times a day for several days. Wrap the ice or cold pack in a towel. Do not apply the ice directly to your skin. - Take ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) or acetaminophen (Tylenol) to help relieve pain - Use heat only when you are returning to physical activity. Then use it before stretching. Gentle heating can help loosen the muscle - When the acute pain is gone, start gentle stretching exercises. Stay within pain limits. Hold each stretch for about 10 seconds and repeat 6 times. - Physical therapy may speed up the recovery process. Therapeutic modalities such as Ultrasound, Massaging and specific exercises will be helpful. If your symptoms are not resolving with the above measures, consult an orthopedic surgeon for further evaluation and management. Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further Regards