Can asthma lead to cough and nasal symptoms?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Fri, 30 Nov 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I started with a cough about the week before Thanksgiving and did not give much thought to it, as my teenage son also had a cold at the time. About 2 weeks after that, my husband came back from China (he is a pilot) and developed a bad cough, with fever and chills, which I also got and was very ill for about 24 hours. We were out of town and so went to a local UCC. He was diagnosed with pleurisy and given a Z pack and antibiotics. I was diagosed with 'almost pneumonia' and told that my asthma had probably saved me from getting sicker in a few days. They also gave me a Z pack and some antibiotics. I recovered pretty quickly, but I have never gotten rid of a persistent productive cough and stuffy nose. Some days I think I'm getting better and some days it's pretty bad again. I am reluctant to go back to the doctor, as I don't want to take more steriods, since the last ones I took only got rid of whatever flu-like thing we had but not the cough. I am taking either Sudafed or Allegra almost daily, both of which seem to help. What do you think?
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

You might need inhaled bronchodilators.

Detailed Answer:

Your persistent cough and nasal symptom are mostly due to worsening of underlying asthma.

A most common cause for worsening of asthma is a lung infection.
So better to consult pulmonologist and get done a clinical examination of the respiratory system and PFT (Pulmonary Function Test).

PFT will tell you about the severity of asthma and treatment is based on severity only.

You will need inhaled bronchodilators (formoterol or salmeterol) and inhaled corticosteroid (ICS) (budesonide or fluticasone).

ICS is better and safer as compared to oral steroids.

Don't worry, you will be alright with inhaled treatment.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Kaushal Bhavsar, Pulmonologist