Can arch support and gel insert effectively treat pain and callous in the soles?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on 1 day ago in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am a physically fit 47 year old male with flat feet who just started walking about two miles every day, as fast as I can. I am starting to have pain in the outside middle of the ball of my left foot. No pain toward the big toe side of my foot pad. It's just in the middle and outside of the foot pad. I have a long-standing callous in the middle of my foot pad, that has been there for a long time. I am walking in old Adidas running shoes or in new trail-running shoes. I was going to buy a gel insert or purchase new shoes with a large arch. Having flat feet, I was wondering if an arch support and a gel insert are called for.
Thank you for your time.
Axxxxx
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Better to buy new shoes.

Detailed Answer:

Old running shoes do not provide adequate support to the sole of the foot and arches due to decreased elasticity. The callous present in the sole can also get infected and cause trouble.

Using arch support is recommended but it is better to change the shoes instead of using a gel pad. Also get the callous removed surgically or by cautery to improve the walking capacity.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Praveen Tayal, Orthopaedic Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad