Can anxiety manifest itself during sleep?

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Mental Health
Question: Can anxiety manifest itself only during the nighttime when someone is sleeping? And if so, could it cause active dreams, including screaming out, and other physical actions like kicking or hitting?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

Anxiety can indeed sometimes manifest this way. I would advise a couple things here. First, you absolutely need to get your CPAP and use it nightly, as oxygen deprivation can lead to nightmares and behaviors such as these. I would also immediately stop Ambien, as Ambien is known to WORSEN nightmares and physical actions in sleep. If you want to try a medication, you could try prazosin, which is FDA-approved for treating nightmares. These three steps will help you.

I would get your blood pressure checked by a medical doctor. I do not think this is related to fear at all.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 2 hours later
Thank you for your prompt response!
I ceased talking Ambien a year ago. I will start my C-Pap as soon add it is delivered. I was hoping to not have to add any more meds that I take already, but will if the C-Pap fails to solve the issue.
I have always had vivid dreams even as a kid, but these are interfering in my life. It's hard to stay at someone's home knowing I could scare the life out of them during the night with my screams. And they come not with a scary nightmare, but just a tense, intense dream.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
I definitely think you should give the CPAP a try. If that doesn't work, I would add prazosin, which can treat not only nightmares but also intense dreams.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D