Can anxiety cause sleeplessness and severe headache?

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Mental Health
Question: i am suffering from sleeplessness since past two days. I took stilnoct 12.5 mg 1st day and then i slept for 8 hrs but next day since morning i was feeling mild headache. Tried to sleep next day on my own slept for an hour and got awake. thereafter i took etilaam 0.25 and slept for 6 hours but still i have severe headache and feel like crying. Earlier also i used to get sleepless but stilnoct 12,5 mg helped me alot. then i used to get natural sleep on my own , but since past few days my sleep is disturbed. Also i m getting married in 5 days from now so i want good sleep and dont want to disturb my marital life.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Try to remain relaxed and reduce your anxiety.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM for your health related doubts

I can understand your concern. You are getting married in 5 days and this is one of important anxiety aggravating factor. In my opinion this is one reason of your sleeplessness. Try to remain relaxed and avoid thinking excessively, this will help in sound sleep and you will feel better.

Stilnoct is Zolpidem extended release and the drug is a hypnotic drug but not a good anti anxiety drug. In my opinion relief of anxiety will help in sound sleep. Etizolam can help to beat the anxiety but the doses you have taken are low. Increase the dose of drug in consultation of your doctor to 0.5 mg and take the tablet about one hour before going to bed. This will relieve anxiety and you will have sound sleep. Even you can take Stilnoct also along with Etilaam. Try not to think about getting sleep again and again. Sleep is a spontaneous thing and when your body will need sleep you will sleep, without any doubt. So try not to think about sleep repeatedly. Remain relaxed, avoid cold drinks, tea, coffee in evening. This will give sound sleep.

Thanks, Hope this helps you. Please don't hesitate to ask again for more doubts.