Can anxiety cause pain in chest?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jun 2014
Jun 2014
Excellent

Psychiatrist
Question
Hi i have ocd is it true that when you are very axious and have anxiety that you can get pains in your chest as i worry alot about stuff? How long will this last axiety and pains as i am really worried all the time? Thanks
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
These symptoms would subside with time.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would help you in this query.

Chest pain and anxiety is part of anxiety disorder like OCD and in that case, you can take benzodiazepine on sos basis. Usually such symptoms subside with medications or relaxation exercise. If you have been taking any medication or psychotherapy, then with time, these symptoms would decrease. How long it would take, that is difficult to tell. It depends upon severity of illness and duration of treatment. So, be patient. You would improve with time.

If you have more query, you can ask.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor'
Psychiatrist

Follow-up: Can anxiety cause pain in chest? 12 hours later
Hi doctor what it is i have ocd and i took a popper at the wkend and didint realise that they were a drug i thought they were just for a laugth but now i feel so ashamed and annoyed with myself as i have never took any drugs before in my life cause i hate them. But after i have a drink i get really anxious and my anxiety cancgo threw the roof and this week i have been worrying that something bad might happen to me or someone else. I feel so ashamed. I have had pains in my chest and been dizzy the last few days but dont know if this is due to my anxiety. I am taking anti depressants to control my ocd and i am def going to cut the drink out to try and help my ocd as it is just making me worse but i drink sometimes to get rid of my ocd for a bit. I am going to classes aswell for my ocd. Was just wondering what you thought of my situation as i am very worried all the time about this. Please help thanks

Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Try some relaxation exercise

Detailed Answer:
Hi

In your case, anxiety symptoms is due to OCD and underline worries about the illness. More you would remain tense, more such symptoms would occur. Even while drinking, if you remain tense or worried, such symptoms would increase. In that case, you can also try some relaxation exercise like JPMR or can take benzodiazepine on sos basis. This would help you to control such symptoms in better way. Remember one thing, improvement would take time and you have to be patient. So, just relax.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist