Can anxiety cause loss of appetite and constant nausea?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: loss of appetite, can't eat anything, big or small,constant nausea......feel like I'm constantly thinking about my stomach...when i go to vomit nothing comes out because i have nothing in my system....been going about 10 days like this now, lost about 6-7 pounds ..prior to that i had convinced myself i had a health issue completely non related ( was in my legs) and i worried i was dying from that and thought thats why i was making myself sick..and was dying but i got checked out and was fine just a muscle .. of course lol, i thought thats why I was feeling nausea no appetite and sick to my stomach because i was so worried about my leg ..but its been a good few days since the doctor told me my leg was fine, and now I'm thinking maybe it isn't from anxiety..or maybe it is...the smell of food makes me want to gag... scared but also had past issues with fear of death and dying constantly over health...been told i am a hypochondriac by doctors... but this time i am not even thinking about it and I'm feeling nausea all day everyday...can depression make you this ill...?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is more likely hypochondriasis

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

From the available description I feel it is more likely hypochondriasis as there are overvalued ideas which indicate toward it rather than depression.

I must acknowledge that yes depression can cause all these symptoms but in your case it is just a distant possibility and not a core possibility.

I hope this answers you.
Thanks again.