Can anxiety cause extreme dizziness?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Mental Health
Question: Can anxiety cause all-day physical symptoms like extreme dizziness, temple and upper jaw pain, palpatations, and nausea? Like, these symptoms last all day with no relief. I've had a head MRI and CT without contrast, and a chest CT with contrast. Also, EKGs and blood work. Everything was "clear." I am still extremely worried about these symptoms I'm having and fear stroke, aneurysm, or cardiac arrest. I've been told these symptoms could be anxiety but I keep reading that anxiety symptoms only last 20-40 minutes and occur at stressful times.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is possible!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

Anxiety can cause these symptoms. How long they last depends on how often you get anxiety episodes. If you are in a constant state of anxiety, then your symptoms would go on as long as you are in this state. this can take days and even longer.

This diagnosis of anxiety could as well be revised. Looking at your history and how any questions you have asked, you see not convinced that you are in good health even after all the detailed and several tests have suggested that you have no detectable abnormality. A concerned you are moving closer to a hypochondriac and this in itself would worsen your anxiety state and aggravate these symptoms.

In all, yes anxiety can cause these symptoms. You need to believe in what your doctors and the various investigations conclude as concerns your health status.Being worried with no justified reasons only worsens the clinical state and aggravates symptoms.

I hope you find this helpful. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.