Can anxiety cause dizzy spells when suffering from spinal stenosis?

Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: I have severe spinal stenosis also some collapsed disc in lumbar spine. I have a few surgeries but now that I have so much scar tissue around my spine I'm not able to undergo another surgery I also have severe high blood pressure and anxiety issues. But the last few days I can just be sitting an I get these spells like I'm going to black out my head an my ears get real tight almost like someone is choking me cutting off circulation but only when I'm sitting an not any other time I'm worried it could be serious. Please help!
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
I will advise you to do MRI spine again.

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.

This pain and black out symptoms can be due to severe pain.
For spinal canal stenosis its better to do re surgery and get decompression done,

For these symptoms analgesic and neurotropic medication can be started.
Till time, avoid lifting weights, Sit with support to back. You can consult physiotherapist for help.
Physiotherapy like ultrasound and interferential therapy will give quick relief.
I will advise to check your vit B12 and vit D3 level.

My patients get good relief with holistic approach like pranayama, yoga. You can also start them.

If not relieved then you may need to consult psychiatrist for anxiety episodes.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow up: Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 3 minutes later
I am on anxiety meds as well as pain meds. I have too much scar tissue around my spine I'm not able to undergo another surgery. I'm just worried because i had one of these episodes tonight while driving it got black for a few seconds I had to pull over.
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Explained below

Detailed Answer:
Hello

You may need to consult your doctor for black out episode.
He will check your basal parameters and will do required investigation if required.
You may need to take rest till time.Do not drive car till doctors advise.

Okay why would it only happen sitting up an I've noticed it only happens in the evening
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 31 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained below

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Due to sitting position there can be orthostatic hypertension leading to black out.

Our body has hormonal mechanism which has circadian rhythm [cycle according to time] this can lead to symptoms only in evening.