Can anxiety cause chest flutter with a sharp pain in the shoulder?

Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 21 Aug 2018 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Question: Hello, I was standing with my arm folded and fist pressed into my hip for awhile as I was on my computer. When I let it down I experinced a sharp pain in my shoulder, as I was reaching for my shoulder I felt it a little further down on my left arm so I stopped moving it. I stood there for a moment scared about what could be happening, and that's when I noticed a flutter in my chest. Would it be safe to assume that this pain was nerve related and the flutter was anxiety related? I do have anxiety, but I rarely if ever feel heart flutters. My body has been sore due to packing as we have been prepping to move.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Most likely it’s due to ongoing stress

Detailed Answer:

After going through the medical details, I would like to tell you that your symptoms are more of stress-related and also due to the fatigue which the body is experiencing due to a busy schedule.

As of now, there is nothing to be worried about. Just forget about it and don’t be stressed as stress and anxiety itself is an important cause of palpitations.

However, if this sort of event happens again then I'd suggest getting an ECG done at that moment because that only will be helpful to rule out any transient cardiac rhythm disturbance that might be going on.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 12 minutes later
Thank you. I also wanted to note that though the left side of my body has been sore from physical strain, I have not been able to recreate the sharp pain I experienced. Is that still indicative of stress and fatigue?
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow-up

Detailed Answer:
Hello Again,

See, to be at mental peace you can go for an ECG and echocardiography. However, I still feel that’s not required as of now as this likely has happened because of some muscle pull or soreness (for which you can simply take some pain-killers like Tylenol, rest and observe).

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Bhanu Partap, Cardiologist