Can antisperm antibodies cause infertility?

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Mon, 12 Sep 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello doctor,

I am a 25 year old male and today after mastrubation while walking to clean up I fell and my nose started bleeding.

In a instinct, I rolled the tissue paper I had in my hand and put it in my nose to stop bleeding.

The tissue paper had traces of semen on it and I could faintly smell it.

I cleaned my nose immediately with water.

Would this cause me to develop antisperm antibodies?
I am a 25 year old male and today after mastrubation while walking to clean up I fell and my nose started bleeding (just a few drops).

Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No danger of antisperm antibodies

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

You are concerned that you got some semen inside your nose and that you might develop antibodies to this exposure. I can reassure you that you will not develop any antibodies from this. The biggest issue with developing antibodies to sperm is in women and maybe one of the causes of infertility. There is no danger of you becoming infertile from antibodies. The only way a male becomes infertile from antisperm antibodies is after exposure of sperm to blood like in testicular or groin injury or after vasectomy. With your exposure with a bloody nose there is not enough transmission of sperm into the blood stream to produce a reaction.

Therefore, I can fully reassure you that you will not develop antibodies to your own sperm

I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions
Follow up: Dr. Ronald Schubert 14 minutes later
Thank you Dr. Schubert.

Will the same be the case if I have semen on my finger cuts?

Good day.
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Minimal risk

Detailed Answer:
No you can't get enough semen into a cut on your hand that would cause development of antibodies. The development would require a long term exposure like after a groin injury or vasectomy.