Can antibiotics treat symptoms of viral infections?

Dr. Eni

Posted on Wed, 10 Oct 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I started feeling badly on Monday night with nausea. I woke up the next day with more mild nausea and a mild sore throat (though I get sore throats like crazy during the winter). My symptoms continued to wax and wane with me feeling better in the morning and feeling worse by evening. One of the worst symptoms is fatigue and muscle aches. I had no fever except when I rather stupidly wore three layers of clothes to a doctor's office that was very warm (100.2 F); my temperature dropped as soon as the clothes were off. I also do not have any sinus issues, save for drainage in the back of my throat. I tested negative for flu and strep. The doctor gave me antibiotics just in case it's bacterial in nature and told me to take them if I started feeling worse, but how do I know if I'm feeling worse when my symptoms wax and wane? When should I take them? I'm afraid because if this is viral (the doctor suggested adenovirus), couldn't antibiotics make my symptoms worse? I'm afraid of calling my doctor because I once heard some nurses making fun of me, and even though I changed doctors, I've been terrified of speaking to nurses since.
Answered by Dr. Eni 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Related to a weak immun system.

Detailed Answer:

I think that your situation, that repeats especially in the evenings and through the winter, it is more related to the fatigue, the tiredness that you may have in every day.

These make your immune system weaker and weaker, and that is the reason why you experience so many sore throats, that is the reason for your muscle ache and your fatigue.

I would suggest stopping concerning if it was the bacterial or viral cause and since momentarily you are feeling better, do not take at all any medicine.

If it was a flu (regardless bacterial or not), you would have still been sick. The infection does not go one day, and start the next day and so on. Infection keeps on till it is healed.

Your condition is due to exhaustion. I would suggest to you total rest and relax, taking care daily of good eating and good fitness exercising.

Add to your food more vitamins, more fruits, more vegetables, warm soups, fresh homemade juices, more herbal teas and try to make long walking every day in Park.

Do not eat late at night, and do not skip meals. Take care of your inner beings as well, try to meet friends that make you feel happy. Read a good book, go to Church, enjoy daily life.

Do not worry about what other people say about you. Instead, try to give and to take more love, and everything will get better on its own.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Eni 24 minutes later
Thank you for your response! I have just one more question: I've been taking tamiflu for the past 10 days because my husband came down with the flu. My husband told me that his doctor had warned him about side effects like heartburn and nausea. I took the tamiflu each night with food at around 5 pm, and my symptoms would get worse about an hour and a half to two hours after each dose. Is it possible that tamiflu is also partially to blame? I certainly agree that the stress is exacerbating everything as I've spent the past few weeks jumping from crisis to crisis (sickness, car accident, job problems, etc.), but could the tamiflu also be causing problems?
Answered by Dr. Eni 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Yes, it can be related.

Detailed Answer:

If after taking a certain medication, it feels worse, or it causes a side effect, it is recommended to stop the medication or to change it.

In your situation, it's recommended to stop taking any more Tamiflu (after discussing with your doctor) and start eating food that makes you healthier such as lemon, honey, drinking herbal tea that will boost the immune system and will help you fight against the microbes.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Eni, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee