question-icon

Can antibiotics show a false positive for cocaine in urinalysis?

Posted on Wed, 13 May 2015
Question: I recently had to change doctors because my previous physician is having health issues. I went to a new physician today and they had me do a urinalysis. I have never in my life used cocoine but it showed up in the results. I have done a little online research and found that antibiotics such as amoxicillin could be the cause of the false positive. I was wondering if this is common or if you have heard of this occurring before?
Answered by Dr. Sabiha Banu (53 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
possible chances of false positive test

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for using hcm.

I can understand your confusion and feel concerned.

Can I know the reason for which your doctor has requested for a urine analysis?

Antibiotics like amoxycicillin or any penicillin groups, local an aesthetics (except lidocaine and Novocaine), diabetes, liver diseases, kidney infections and antipsychotic drugs can give false positive tests.

Can I know if you have any other of the above history or taking any medications?

Please get back with the details and be free to ask any related doubt.

All the best,take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Sabiha Banu

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist