Can antibiotics cause yellow stool?
antibiotics change stool color
Thanks for contacting HCM
The short answer is yes the antibiotics will change the color of your stool. Antibiotics are designed to kill bacteria and they will kill the good bacteria in your colon along with the bad bacteria. The bacteria in your colon take bilirubin which is a by product of hemoglobin metabolism and breaks it down. This is what gives stool is color. To help reduce the effects of antibiotics on gut bacteria I recommend fro my patient to take a probiotic. I usually recommend Lactobacillus while taking the antibiotics and then continue for an additional 1 week after completing antibiotics.
I hope this answers your question. Please contact us again with your health related questions.
No need to repeat Hepatitis panels
Thanks for writing back.
You still have questions to whether or not to repeat your hepatitis panels. The virus would have already caused an immunological response and it would have been detected in your panel. I feel I can reassure you that you have nothing to worry about
Hope this answers your question. Please contact us again with your medical questions.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Foods that cause yellow stool
- Causes of yellow colored stools
- Causes of yellow stools diagnosis
- Causes of yellow watery stools
- What antibiotics cause yellow stools
- Pale yellow stools antibiotics
- Metformin cause yellow stools
- Protonix cause yellow stool
- Antibiotics cause mucus in stool
- Can antibiotics cause yellow stool
- Suggest treatment for bone cancer
- What causes dry mouth and white patch on tongue?
- What causes burning sensation and pain in elbow joint and hip joint?
- Suggest treatment for skin rashes
- What are side effects of Metanx?
- What does a brown spot on arm indicate?
- What causes hair growth on heel?
- Suggest treatment for itchy, painful and swollen legs
- Suggest treatment for hemiplegic migraines
- What causes itching and pain in feet at night while sleeping?