Can antibiotics cause nausea and vomiting?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Thu, 7 Jun 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have headache,ear ache,neck ache, throat pain, and having belly pain. I took mucinex and asprine but its like it gets more painful. I went to the doctor they gave me ibuprofen and amoxicillin (antibiotics) I started yesterday day and a few moments ago I started throwing up this isn't the first with antibiotics whats wrong
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Stop Ibuprofen. It is a gastric irritant. The antibiotic too is an irritant

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Most often such symptoms are due a viral infection which usually also has an allergic component. Antibiotics are usually not needed in such cases. However, some doctors still give antibiotics to be on the safer side. Antibiotics can act as gastric irritants, irritating the inner lining of the stomach, thus causing you to throw up. Ibuprofen is a known gastric irritant and worsens the situation. I think that discontinuing ibuprofen would reduce the problems significantly. If you need to take them, make sure to take them in full stomach.

You need to take steam inhalation. It helps in reducing the congestion. The water vapor will reach deep inside and would help in diluting the cough and thus would provide relief.

I hope that I could clear your doubts. Feel free to write back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D