• question-icon

Can antibiotics cause menstrual disturbances?

Posted on Fri, 30 Jun 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi doctor,
I had my regular periods on 13th XXXXXXX for 3 days. On 16th XXXXXXX onwards, I experienced pain while passing urine and some blood spots coming up while urination. It was also followed by pungent or fishy smell for a week. On checking with gynaecologist, she suggested it was fungal infection and prescribed antifungal cream and wash post which all these symptoms were gone. She also suggested for urine test. The reports came up mild uti for ecoli. I was prescribed with niftas med for 5 days. And this course was started on 1st July.

Recently, I became sexually active and post periods last sexual activity was 8th July. It was unprotected with no ejaculation. I was supposed to get periods by 13th July but still have not got it.

I wanted to know if the fungal infection and antibiotics took a toll on the menstrual cycle or if there is a possibility of pregnancy.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Infection is the most likely cause of the delayed period.

Detailed Answer:

In the current scenario, the most likely cause of the delayed period is the infection. Antibiotic usage also can lead to hormone imbalance and cause menstrual disturbances.

Chances of conception are rare with the timing of intercourse. This is because ovulation occurs two weeks prior to the onset of the next period and this is the fertile period when conception can occur.

Please get a proper clinical evaluation if you become overdue by ten days.

Hope your query has been clarified. Please feel free to contact for further information. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN