• question-icon

Can antibiotic Cefuroxime cause tendon damage?

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Can the antibiotic CEFUROXME cause possible tendon damage/problems; I am taking the drug and also experiencing Achilles' tendon pain??
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
not a known side effect

Detailed Answer:
HI , thanks for using healthcare magic

No, this not one of the side effects of this type of antibiotic though persons may react differently to medications.

Injury or pain of the tendons, is usually associated with fluoroquinolone antibiotics (eg ciprofloxacin, moxifloxacin, levofloxacin).

If the pain continues or it is severe, you should see your doctor.

You can consider the use of anti inflammatory medications (if you can use these) to see if one of them would help eg naproxen, ibuprofen, cataflam

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James