Can anesthesia cause shortness of breath?

Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist

Posted on Sat, 9 Jun 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have mild bilateral bronchiectasis. For the last few weeks, I have been excellent. No shortness of breath, no coughing up mucus, no infections, sleeping through the night, and just generally feeling quite well.
Yesterday, I had a colonoscopy. One small polyp, no cancer, looks like everything is fine. However, ever since the procedure, I have had shortness of breath. (I didn't even have SOB last week in the frigid weather when it was 5 degrees (F) last week). Could the anesthesia have caused this setback? I am doing the protocols that got me healthy (physiotherapy, breathing (Buteyko) exercises, did an IV drip of H2O2 today and inhaling ozonated olive oil), but still have some SOB. I know it's only been a little over a day since the colonoscopy, but I am very frustrated. Any insights? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no need to worry about

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to HealthcareMagic,

I can understand your concern and I have gone carefully through your concern.

According to the history you provide, i don't think that the breathlessness is related to local anesthesia and sedation. There are no data related to this in the literature in my knowledge.

Probably you have been under stress recently that might have provoked this symptom again.

Do not worry so much, it doesn't seem like anything so serious.

I'd recommend you to continue the current regime as you are already following and everything will come back normal soon.

Regards and feel free to ask me again

Dr.Jolanda

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee