Can an ultrasound test detect the gender of the fetus?
A qualified raiologist can identify fetal gender after 14 weeks
Welcome to HCM,
Both male and female babies look the same on ultrasound uptill 14 weeks, its after 14 weeks that the gender differences can be seen.
After 14weeks they can be identified with 90% accuracy, and after 18 weeks it is 98-99% accurate. So that 1% of uncertainity reminds us that ultrasounds are not 100% diagnostic and can go wrong.
It is advisable to wait for birth of baby to know the sex as in countries like XXXXXXX it is forbidden by law to reveal the sex of the baby.
Hope this helps.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Ultrasound of 9 week fetus
- Enlarged kidney in fetus ultrasound
- Aging bovine fetus ultrasound
- 28 week fetus ultrasound
- No fetus at 8 weeks ultrasound
- Lipomeningocele ultrasound findings in fetus
- Hydrocephalus in fetus using ultrasound
- Dilated kidney in fetus ultrasound
- Small stomach in fetus ultrasound
- Can ipill be detected by an ultrasound test