Can an ovarian cyst affect pregnancy?

Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 in Women's Health
Question: hi there I had a little bit of a concern I was at the hospital tonight with a flare up from my ulcerative colitis and because I feel like I am pregnant I am only 6 days past ovulation and the Dr at the hospital was extremely rude to me and told me there's no way I'm pregnant because my hcg would have at least some numbers to it but if I haven't implanted yet I wouldn't have hcg yet he just told me it was ovarian cyst is it a possibility that I could still be pregnant my period isn't even due for 9 more days
Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Wait till expected date of menses. pre pregnancy supplements suggested

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Dr Purushottam Neurgaonkar here. I welcome you to HCM VIRTUAL CLINIC. I have gone through your question , and I think I have understood your concern. I will suggest you the best possible treatment options.

1 ) First of all do not panic.

2 ) As you may be knowing that in a woman with regular cycles, day 10 to 20 of the cycle is the most fertile period of cycle. Ovulation usually occurs on day 13 to 15. When this egg gets fertilised , it implants after 7 days in the uterine cavity. This is about day 21 of the cycle. 36 to 48 hours after this beta HCG can be found in the blood.

3 ) As a routine, it is advisable to wait till your expected date of periods. If you miss the one, getting morning's first sample of urine tested for pregnancy is advisable.

4 ) Till then please do not worry, be cool and wait patiently for your expected date of menses.

5 ) I am sure that you must be having Folic acid, Vitamin B 12 and Omega 3 supplements. Expecting women already on the supplements have lesser problems and healthy pregnancy outcomes.

I hope this answer helps you.
Thanks.
Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar