• question-icon

Can an injury from rusted bed frame cause lead poisoning?

Posted on Mon, 23 Jan 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: HI,LAST NIGHT I TRIED TO DISASIMBLE A RUSTY BED FRAME GOT A TINY PIECE IN MY THUMB ,I DIDNT HAVE MUCH IN THE MED CABNET SO I WASHED IT OFF WITH WITCH XXXXXXX AND PUT A ANTIBIOTIC OINTMENT ON IT ,LOOKES FINE CANT SEE ANYTHING ON MY THUMB . MY DAD SAID YOU HAVE TO BE CARFULL NOT TO GET LEAD POISING ,THIS MORNING I WOKE UP TIRED ALL DAY AND FELT NAUSES I WAS COLD ALL NIGHT AND ALL DAY TODAY.I HAVE A HEADACHETRIED A PROTIEN PWD FOR WEIGHT LOSS FOR TWO DAYS DID NOT TAKE ANY TODAY, I DONT MEAN TO SOUND PARANOID WHAT DO YOU THINK? OR IS THE FLU ,I GOT A FLU SHOT BEFORE CHRISTMAS ,MY MOM SAID SHE WASNT FEELING WELL AND WE WENT TO THE HOUSE FOR CHRISTMASTHANKS PAM
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
With a rusty bed frame, chances of Tetanus are there.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, XXXX, welcome to HCM,
With a rusty bed frame, chances of Tetanus are there. If you have not taken a tetanus shot in the last 6 months, it is advisable to take one.
Other than that, since you washed your thumb thoroughly, I do not think you will have any problem.
But look out for any infection in the thumb.
Does it look red and slightly inflamed?
If it looks normal, then probably what you have is a mild attack of flu which can happen in spite of vaccination. And all you need is some Tylenol.
Do revert back.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Geeta Sundar