Can an infected dog with rabies transmit the virus during the incubation period?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Thu, 8 Sep 2016 in Infections
Question: Can a dog with rabies transmit the virus during the incubation period?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
not very likely but can't be excluded

Detailed Answer:

The answer to this question is not easy because this kind of disease is difficult to study. In theory the salivary glands are not the first to be involved when rabies develops but you can never know when there is viral load in the saliva. We do expect a dog to be infectious when the symptoms have started but nobody can exclude infectivity earlier. That's why there are guidelines regarding post-exposure prophylaxis depending on the type of insult and other factors.

I hope it helps!
Kind Regards!