Can an epileptic person take Vistaril?

Dr. Dariush Saghafi

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Is it ok to take Visatril 25mg if I'm epileptic
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No contraindication taking vistaril with epilepsy

Detailed Answer:
Good evening.

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) is contraindicated in any individual who carries a confirmed diagnosis of epilepsy, seizure disorder, or convulsions. The FDA recognizes the severity of the adverse reaction of SEIZURES as SEVERE and also publishes that this adverse reaction of the medication is usually seen as a late complication of using this drug. In other words, one may be using the drug for months or even years without incident before a seizure ever occurs.

The incidence of this reaction is UNKNOWN but my best advice to you and the one which I give to my patients is that they should avoid this medication at any dosing regimen.

If I've provided useful and helpful information to your questions could you do me a huge favor by CLOSING THE QUERY and be sure to include some fine words of feedback along with a 5 STAR rating? Again, many thanks for submitting your inquiry and please let me know how things turn out.

Do not forget to contact me in the future at: www.bit.ly/drdariushsaghafi for additional questions, comments, or concerns having to do with this topic or others.

This query has utilized a total of 16 minutes of professional time in research, review, and synthesis for the purpose of formulating a return statement.

Follow up: Dr. Dariush Saghafi 23 minutes later
so don't take no more of it even though ive taken one pill

and that's all I've taken
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your doctor should make the decision on this.....

Detailed Answer:
Good morning.

Please understand that neither I nor any other physician have the authority to "tell" any patient what to take or what not to take....ESPECIALLY if you're asking about a medication that your doctor prescribed to you for a condition they feel you should be taking this drug.

Your question was whether or not it was "ok" to take Vistaril if you had a diagnosis of epilepsy. My response was to tell you that according to the literature there is a risk of seizures by taking this medication. I believe it would be to your advantage to call your doctor's office or pharmacist who filled your prescription and get a clarification as to whether or not you should continue the drug despite knowing this information on the risk of seizures.

Several reliable websites verify what I am telling you such as PDR.NET and MEDSCAPE.COM when it comes to the ADVERSE EFFECTS or WARNINGS section for Vistaril. Your doctor should make the decision on this.

All the best.

This query has utilized a total of 26 minutes of professional time in research, review, and synthesis for the purpose of formulating a return statement.