Can an elbow impact from another player during basketball cause soreness and pain in the bicep muscle?
He can bench press 250 lbs and curl 40-50 lbs single arm. (basically, he's in very good shape and not sedentary).
He noticed Tuesday he had a sore area on top inner side of left mid bicep about 4 inches up arm from the antecubital vein (up meaning toward shoulder from elbow, not toward hand).
basically, its on the top bicep just below mid muscle.
His last weighted workout was with medicine balls 2 days prior and was very light weight with a XXXXXXX weight of 12 lbs and he was using using both arms and completed 5 reps per set with 4 sets.
Next day no soreness except in lower body(legs, calves, glutes).
He has no bruising or redness in his bicep but the muscle may have a very slight quarter sized raised area. I may be seeing something that isn't actually there as others have said they can't see any difference between both arms. So, if its there its subtle.
He says if feels sore to touch and stiff. Pain is between a 2-3 on pain scale but not without movment or rubbing it. For some perspective, he said he thought a stomach bug was a 6-7 on pain scale.
He didn't relay the info of the soreness and worked out tuesday and wednesday at school.
He can do push ups, wide grip pull ups and 30 lb dumbell curl with no pain.
He also says as he uses it, it losens up and is less sore and stiff.
We are thinking he took an elbow impact from another player to the bicep during game play when fighting for the ball.
Does this sound consitent with that type of hit?
He is in playoffs and is asking what can he do to assist recovery.
Possible minor traumatic contusion
I can certainly understand your concern and have worked through your attached query in detail
As per your description of symptoms with regards to your son, the possibility of minor traumatic contusion is very high. This will gradually subside in the due course.
Nothing alarming as of now.
This could be due to elbow impact from another player as well during the game.
As of now, nothing to worry much.
In case of unbearable pain, it's advisable to consider a short course of oral analgesics after discussing with your physician.
Post your further queries if any
MRI can clear your doubts if required
Bruising may be absent if that impact is deeper or mild.
The main aspect is the clinical improvement.
As he is on a recovery scale, there is nothing much to worry.
In case if you are still concerned, you have the option of taking an MRI SCAN which has all the potential to pick up the level and severity of the traumatic contusion in question.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr. Suresh Heijebu
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Pain under armpit soreness in arm bruise on bicep
- Small protrusion in elbow causing pain and soreness
- Bruise on inside of bicep at elbow
- Pain in triceps sore elbow
- Muscle pain with indent in bicep
- Cause and treatment for swollen and painful biceps
- Dvt in bicep inner elbow
- Elbow pain sore to touch
- Biceps tendonitis elbow
- What causes pain between bicep and tricep
- Does excessive massage result in temporary nerve damage?
- What is the prognosis for CKD with eGFR of 52?
- Suggest treatment for sore lesions on the chin and buttocks, nausea and...
- What do ingestion, diarrhea and brain fog indicate despite following a...
- Can CFS and de Quervain tenosynovitis increase one's CK levels?
- What causes chronic vomiting after several surgeries around the uterus...
- What causes difficulty in sleeping in an elderly person?
- Suggest ways to lose weight in a healthy manner
- Suggest treatment for persistent sinus infection
- Suggest remedies for swelling and purple bruise around the finger nails