Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

149 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Can an appendectomy done two years ago cause stomachache?

Answered by
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Practicing since :1984

Answered : 12194 Questions

Posted on Wed, 1 Aug 2018 in Abdominal Pain
Question: My friend had undergone through appendectomy before two years. Due to some personal reasons he had been smoking heavily( 1 to two packs) since two months . Now he is getting stomach pain. May I know is there any health concern.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please give additional information - needs clinical evaluation and tests.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query.
Noted the history about your friend and understood the concerns.
Since appendectomy was done 2 years ago and pain has developed recently, this needs a proper clinical evaluation by a General Surgeon and investigations as needed to get a proper cause so that a proper management can be done.
Please give some additional information for me to assist better:
- Since when is the pain present?
- Which area of the abdomen the pain is present?
- Any nausea, vomiting, bloating, loose motions or hard stools?
- Any relationship between smoking and pain in abdomen like increase in pain?
- ANy other history please.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 19 hours later
- pain is present since two days
-Pain is there in the upper portion of the abdomen
- No nausea,vomitting,bloating,loose motions or hard stools
-No such relation
- No other history except the appendectomy for which he was admitted for 18 days
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Clinical evaluation and investigations

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback.
Sine the pain is present for 2 days and is in upper portion of abdomen this may most probably be related to gastritis or pancreatitis or colitis.
Hence it is necessary to get the following things done:
Get started on a PPI like Omeprazole and antacid.
Clinical evaluation and examination preferably by a General Surgeon.
Medications as prescribed.
Investigations as needed like Upper GI Endoscopy, ultrasonography, tests of blood, stool and urine. Any other tests as would be needed and advised.
Getting a correct diagnosis should be the motto so that an appropriate management can be done.

I hope this answer helps your friend.
Please give feedback about the progress.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on