Can aloe vera juice be taken while breast feeding?

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: hello dr
my baby girl is four months old...top feeding has started...cn i take aloverA juice while breastfeeding my baby??my mom in law gave her honey drops yday....it is safe ?i heard honey is dangerous fo such a smAll baby... m really worried....plz help...
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take aloe vera juice - avoid honey

Detailed Answer:

You can drink aloe vera juice, no problem that will not affect your baby's health even if you are breastfeeding.

It is not generally not advisable to give high sugar substances like honey to such young kids. It might cause osmotic diarrhea. Do not give hereafter till the baby is 6 months old.
Don't worry even if she developes diarrhea as it will be of short duration. Do not stop milk, as its a common myth to stop milk if there's diarrhea.

Whatever said & done World Health Organization recommends EXCLUSIVE BREAST FEEDING TILL 6 MONTHS OF AGE. If possible try to do that.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 7 hours later
thnk u dr XXXXXXX fo ur prompt reply
will nt give honey to my baby here after...my daughter sleeps either on her sides or on her tummy..is it safe for her?? i m using figaro olive oil for her massage....is it gud oil or shud i shift to sm other oil??plz help...
Brief Answer:
Sleeping posutres are fine - Olive oil is good

Detailed Answer:
Hi aaishwarya,
Thanks for your trust in me.
Coming to your queries -
1. Sleeping on the sides or tummy or on back all are good - provided the baby is having a sound sleep. Any natural posture the baby finds comfort is good for the baby.
2. But when the baby is sleeping on the her tummy, make sure the bed linen or mattress are not too soft to suffocate her
3. Olive oil is very good for massage - you can continue with that.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. I wish your kid a speedy recovery. If you need any future medical consultation and suggestions, I will be glad to help. You can approach me at the following link. Please find the link below -
www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-sumanth-amperayani/67696

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad