Can allergy to pineapples cause persistent stomach pain?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: The transaction reference is HCM253973
PS Could there be an allergic reaction stomach causing pain?
She asked for pineapple juice (that he dad bought in cans). She has has had 3 XXXXXXX cans over several days. She can normally drink it, but I know it is a meat tenderizer. Could something like that trigger an allergic reaction of stomach lining inflammation/irritation that doesn't calm and just gets worse?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Pineapples can be the culprit

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Pineapple or many other fruits often increase the gastric acid secretion and may trigger gastritis which could be the cause of such pain. Another issue is that the solution in which the pineapples are preserved (in tinned condition) is of acidic nature and excess intake of the same could trigger gastric irritation leading to such a pain. The enzymes in it help in partially digesting meat (outside body, when it serves as meat tendinizer). Needless to say that it has the capacity of eating away at the stomach mucosa and thereby causing pain.

Pantoprazole, lansoprazole etc. can help in reducing such inflammation.