Can allergies to certain foods cause vomiting?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Mon, 4 Jun 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi,
In the past month I've vomitted a like 3 times to be precise. There is no weakness or fever with it. I personally feel my body is allergic to some particular food. This morning all I had was a black tea and then got this sudden vomitting feeling. Last night I had duck for dinner no alcohol. November had got a medical checkup done. Everything was good except the SGOT/SGPT was high and uric acid high by 0.1. Iam a bit worried if it's the liver and some other kind of allergy ( I've never had any allergy before). Kindly advice. Thanking you in advance.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
need repeat liver tests

Detailed Answer:
You need repeat liver tests and perhaps tests for hepatitis B and C. Any problem with the liver can cause nausea and vomiting. You may also need an ultrasound of the liver. If the liver is normal then I would look at food allergies or intolerances. The tannins in black tea can be very irritating to some people.
Also you may be dealing with some stomach irritation so taking a medication like omeprazole once a day for a few weeks may also help.
If the problem is not diagnosed or resolved in the next few months you may need to see a gastroenterologist to help with diagnosis and treatment.
Try eating only bland foods for a while. Avoid dairy, high fat foods and acidic foods like coffee and citrus.
I hope you get some answers and relief soon,
Dr. Robinson
Follow up: Dr. Kathy Robinson 20 minutes later
Thanks doctor, you were absolutely right there, as I have developed a disliking for coffee and dairy as well. Also I am father to a 3year old and am planning for the next child. Should I wait till I recover completely or can I go ahead with the planning. Will my current situation affect the planning in any way ( i.e. healthwise for me or for the child). My sex like is normal as before. There is no weakness or loss of interest. Pls advice
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
depends upon the cause

Detailed Answer:
You need to be tested for hepatitis B and C as these could affect the pregnancy. If those are negative then there should be no problem with you pursuing a pregnancy. In any case make sure that your liver tests are back to normal and you get a diagnosis and treatment so that you are feeling better and stop having this nausea.
Wishing you the best.
Dr. Robinson
Follow up: Dr. Kathy Robinson 8 minutes later
Thanks a million
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 45 hours later
Brief Answer:
you are welcome

Detailed Answer:
I hope you are better very soon
Dr. Robinson