Can alcohol intake affect pregnancy test results?

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: Unp.sex 7/3 12 days late then bled for 1 day, 4 false tests, can liquids like whiskey, wine, 4 energy drinks, and water give false negative tests in a dr office? My pee was so clear it looked like water.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not pregnant

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

I order to understand your query I need a few more details

1. Is your periods regular?
2. When was your last period?
3. Did you mean that you had unprotected sex on 3rd of july?

Fluids like whiskey, energy drinks, etc will not lead to a false positive test

Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply

Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 14 minutes later
My periods are allways 28 Always on time with a 7-9 day cycle usually heavy, horrible cramping, sore boobs.. . My mom said stress can cause later cycles but im always stressed, this was never an issue. I took test 3 days after sex (too soon) again, 5 days after sex (too soon) then again on the second day of missed period. My boobs started to hurt and then felt abdominal pains i had mistaken for cramps which lasted maybe a minute and then again for less than a minute the next day. I had sex on saturday the 11th night of my missed period. Then next morning (12th day) i went pee and noticed light pink on tissue paper like i did in my first pregnancy but thats all there was. So i wiped again to be sure and there was more but not enough for a tampon. 2 hrs later actually started to bleed. 8 hours later, removed tampon and was barely enough blood to fill a quarter of the tampon. 5-6 hrs later (saturday night) it turned into what looked like a normal period with mild cramping. Next morning (sunday) bled the whole day. Monday no sore boobs no cramps no blood. Same goes for tuesday and wednesday. Last night i went pee about 3am and my panties had dries dark dark dark brown blood in them. So dark its nothing ive ever seen before. Was so tired all day at work today left had a friend take me to ER bc i was falling asleep at the wheel and i had drank a shot of XXXXXXX a monster, glass of wine, 3 redbulls and a bottle of water. Could that interfere? I asked for blood test but he insisted urine. My pee was clear like water really that crystal clear. Never seen that before either. Test was nevative. Trying to think of any other symptoms i have had like i did in my last pregnancy but all i can come up with is the light pink on the tp after i wiped. And feeling tired but that may be due to the clonozopam my dr put me on to help me sleep at night. Maybe taking it last night had an effect of making me feel tired all day today? I dont get it! My periods are always on time 7-9 days long. This was on and off for 1 day and then dark dry blood 2 days later in my panties. What is that??!! Could i still in fact be pregnant? I have not use FMP for any of my tests. I had also peed 30 minutes prior to the doctors pee sample. What are the odds it could be a false negative? Today it would be 24 days since conception. And minus the abnormal weird bleeding it would be 42 days since my normal period.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not pregnant

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the reply, I am happy you have given a detailed description

Urine pregnancy test is confirmatory for pregnancy
1. It does not give false positive results with intake of food, beverages including alcohol
2. It does not depend on how many times you have passed urine.
3. It is not associated with your hydration status

Urine pregnancy test is accurate. If you are really that tensed about pregnancy then I suggest you do an ultra sound scan done.

It looks like you are having an irregular period this time. It is common to have one especially when you are stressed. Clotted blood which you saw confirms the irregularity of it. Once you get an irregular period it will take two to three further period cycles to regularize it.

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

I wish you good health

Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Then why do they say morning pee is the best pee? I peed at 10pm. This is really not normal for me. I dodnt see any clotting. I bled for 1 day. I never took birth control. Why would i be 12 days late and bleed for a night/day out of nowhere and then 3 days later havd dark almost black dried blood in my undies?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Irregular period

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for getting back

Morning pee is the best pee for urine pregnancy test because it contains the highest concentration of hCG however the modern strips are positive for even low concentrations of hCG so a random sample can be used.

If you are very apprehensive of being pregnant then I strongly suggest that you get an ultrasound scan done.

Delay in a period could be due to stress, it is not true that only birth control pills cause delay in a period.