Can alcohol consumption trigger migraine headaches in a patient with high BP?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: my husband has just been diagnosed with high blood pressure and is taking 5MG of amlopidine besylate.
we went to a xmas party last night and he had a half glass of white wine but came home with what he calls the worst headache he's ever had terrible migraine.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that headache could be related to the white wine or to high blood pressure.

What are his blood pressure values? Has he suffered before from migraine headaches? Alcohol and certain types of wine, can trigger migraine headaches.

Coming to this point, if his blood pressure values are normal, I would recommend taking acetaminophen.

If his blood pressure values are high, I recommend taking another tablet of amlodipine 5mg, in order to help lower blood pressure values.

If the headache persists, especially associated to neck stiffness or nausea, I would recommend going to the ER for a brain CT scan and some tests (complete blood count, PCR, ESR).

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri