Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Can adenomyosis cause abnormal discharge between periods?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
Can adenomyosis cause abnormal dark ( looks like old blood) discharge between periods?
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. Adenomyosis refers to ectopic endometrial tissue (the inner lining of the uterus) within the myometrium (muscle of uterus). It presents with abdominal cramp, heavy bleeding and blood clots. Dark colored discharge (old blood) in between periods may be seen in this condition. The following investigations are required to confirm the diagnosis: 1) One pelvic ultrasound scan or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) 2) Endometrial biopsy to rule out precancerous stage. Exact diagnosis of adenomyosis only possible in post hysterectomy specimen and you need to consult with your gynecologist for proper management. Hope, I have answered your query. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query. Wish your good health and take care yourself. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Can adenomyosis cause abnormal discharge between periods? 8 hours later
Hi. Can a sigmoidoscopy indicate if endometrial cancer has spread to the bowel? Thanks,
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for follow up query. Flexible sigmoidoscopy allows direct visualization of the colonic mucosa, from the rectum to the proximal sigmoid & descending colon. However, colonoscopy has become a preferred method for colon cancer screening. Therefore, you need to undergo one Colonoscopy to rule out and confirm spreading of endometrial cancer to the large bowel. Kindly, consult with your doctor regarding this. Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion. All the best and good luck. Regards, Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor