Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

165 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Can additional tests give more insight when diagnosed with a benign faint post exhaustion after air travel?

Answered by
Dr. Bhanu Partap


Practicing since :2010

Answered : 2414 Questions

Posted on Wed, 22 Aug 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I recently fainted. I felt it coming on and sat down in a chair. I am 66 years old. My daughter found me and tried to rouse me without success. She called 911. EMTs arrived, pulse, blood pressure - 60/40. They left me sitting upright. Administered an ECG. Then started an IV of fluids. I came around. I was transported to the hospital. After tests it was determined to be a benign faint resulting from exhaustion. I had flown to the Netherlands and suffered from jet lag. My husband is concerned that leaving me in the sitting position could have prevented proper blood flow to the brain and caused further damage. I feel fine and have suffered no after effects. Do you think any further tests are necessary?
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:


After going through the medical details provided by you I understand your husband's concern for your health and I would like to tell you that as all the test reports came out to be normal so there is nothing to worry for and the fainting event was most likely due to the fatigue and exhaustion which you faced during the long flight.

Presently if you are feeling fine and there are no sensory and motor deficits in your bodily function then clearly no damage has been done to the brain during the syncopal episode. So in my opinion no tests are required if you are functionally normal.

Hope this information will answer your query.

Take care.

Dr. Bhanu Partap, Cardiologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on